Metrology & NDT
Developing and applying the next generation of metrology and non-destructive testing (NDT)
Metrology & Non-destructive Testing develops and applies technology solutions for process and product quality for multiple sectors including aerospace, power generation, defence, rail and infrastructure. We have access to world class monitoring and inspection capability, both on-site and through our members.
Metrology and Non-destructive Testing has the following offerings:
- Support to industry for the development and implementation of quality control plans –for both new and existing manufacturing processes.
- Independent review, selection and validation of monitoring and inspection systems – both hardware and software.
- Reverse engineering.
Metrology & Non-destructive Testing carries out strategic research in the following areas:
- Monitoring and inspection for advanced manufacturing processes, including net shape and additive manufacturing.
- Computer Aided Quality: Development and integration of digital tools and processes for quality, including data management, simulation and optimisation.
- Automated Inspection: Automation of inspection planning, execution and data analysis for applications including dimensional metrology, non-destructive testing and automated visual inspection.
Our research is highly multi-disciplinary. It is carried out in collaboration with other groups at MTC (including Intelligent Automation & Informatics, Design and Simulation and Component Technology) and with research partners across our extensive global network.