Metrology & NdT
Developing and applying the next generation of metrology and non-destructive testing (NDT)
Metrology & Non-destructive Testing develops and applies technology solutions for process and product quality for multiple sectors including aerospace, power generation, defence, rail and infrastructure. We have access to world-class monitoring and inspection capability, both on-site and through our members.
Metrology and Non-destructive Testing has the following offerings:
- Support to industry for the development and implementation of quality control plans –for both new and existing manufacturing processes.
- Independent review, selection and validation of monitoring and inspection systems – both hardware and software.
- Reverse engineering.
Metrology & Non-destructive Testing carries out strategic research in the following areas:
- Monitoring and inspection for advanced manufacturing processes, including net shape and additive manufacturing.
- Computer Aided Quality: Development and integration of digital tools and processes for quality, including data management, simulation and optimisation.
- Automated Inspection: Automation of inspection planning, execution and data analysis for applications including dimensional metrology, non-destructive testing and automated visual inspection.
Our research is highly multi-disciplinary. It is carried out in collaboration with other groups at MTC (including Intelligent Automation & Informatics, Design and Simulation and Component Technology) and with research partners across our extensive global network.